Photos by Vero Gnz and Adele Beausoleil | Unsplash
US $ 2,215,900
Government Implementing Partner(s)
Ministry of Environment
NDC KEY PARAMETERS
The objective of Peru’s NDC is to implement mitigation and adaptation measures based on national circumstances and capacities and in line with national goals for economic development and poverty reduction.
Unconditional NDC: 20% reduction from business-as-usual (BAU) by 2030
Conditional NDC: 30% reduction from BAU by 2030
Fisheries, agriculture, health, forestry and water
ANTICIPATED UPDATES FOR NDC2
The updated NDC will raise the mitigation target by an additional 5%. This means limiting total emissions to 197.9 million tons of carbon dioxide equivalent by 2030. The updated NDC will raise the mitigation ambition by an additional 5%. This means limiting the total emissions to 193.9 million tons of carbon dioxide equivalent by 2030.
The new target will be an absolute NDC target with a set of measures in four key areas: renewable energy; economy-wide electrification including transportation; circular economy, including energy, resource efficiency and valorization of waste; and nature-based solutions (NBS). The new NDC will also reflect the enhanced transparency framework, with inclusive governance arrangements and carbon markets, and incorporate results from the National Adaptation Plan (NAP) as well as additional priority sectors like tourism and education.
The NDC Support Programme is directly contributing by:
- Providing direct technical assistance for the NDC update;
- Assessing the ambition potential in current NDC goals;
- Enhancing NDC implementation capacities for all NDC sectors, local governments, private sector and civil society;
- Aligning NDC to the enhanced transparency framework along with improvements in the quality of the data; and
- Developing an NDC finance strategy.
The work is part of UNDP’s broader corporate initiative, the Climate Promise, which supports over 110 countries to enhance their NDCs.
KEY PROJECT WORK AREAS
Sectoral and Local Government Empowerment for NDC revision
- Provide targeted technical assistance to public entities to define the scope and goals for mitigation measures; and
- Define roadmaps for NDC implementation at sectoral and sub-national levels for new measures, whilst incorporating a gender approach; and
- Develop the NDC water adaptation roadmap to embed measures on water in the agriculture, energy and housing sectors.
Finance and Investment Mobilization
- Elaborate the national finance strategy for the NDC with a focus on budgeting and sustainability of NDC measures and with the participation of the Ministry of Economy and Finance. The strategy will include institutional arrangements, six case studies for financial institutions and private companies, ten project portfolio for implementation and a review of enabling conditions; and
- Promote the participation of financial entities by creating enabling conditions for the development of financing instruments according to NDC financing needs.
Private Sector Engagement
- Create enabling conditions to implement measures in the short-term; and
- Strengthen existing working groups between the private sector and the government.
Monitoring and Transparency
- Support the implementation of the national registry for mitigation measures and generate Monitoring, Reporting and Verification (MRV) plans for NDC measures; and
- Strengthen Peru’s Carbon Footprint Platform and build related reporting and mitigation management capacities for public and private institutions.
As one of the leading initiatives on NDC revision in Peru, the NDC Support Programme works in close coordination with the Ministry of Environment and collaborates with other related projects of the Green Climate Fund (GCF), UN REDD+, the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH, Cooperación al Desarrollo Ambiental y Reducción del Riesgo de Desastres (COSUDE), Capacity-building Initiative for Transparency (CBIT), World Bank, and the NDC Partnership (through its Climate Action Enhancement Package or CAEP).
Ministry of Environment
Jorge Alvarez Lam
UNDP Country Office | Peru
UNDP | NDC Support Programme Global Support Unit