Photo by Pablo Gonzalez | Unsplash
US $ 460,488
Government Implementing Partner(s)
Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources
NDC KEY PARAMETERS
The objective of Guatemala’s first NDC is to reduce emissions from business as usual and reduce the country's vulnerability to climate impacts in the context of national development priorities.
Unconditional NDC: 11.2% reduction from projected business-as-usual (BAU) emissions in 2030
Conditional NDC: 22.6% from BAU in 2030
Land use, forestry, energy, agriculture, industrial processes and waste
Agriculture, coastal zones, disaster risk management, health, forestry, infrastructure, water and environment
ANTICIPATED UPDATES FOR NDC2
Guatemala is using its NDC revision as an opportunity to present updated information on the greenhouse gas (GHG) inventory. The country is expected to increase the ambition of its mitigation goals and is also making an effort to present adaptation goals.
The NDC Support Programme is directly contributing by:
- Strengthening institutional governance for the NDC, including gender mainstreaming;
- Developing a monitoring and evaluation system and metrics for climate adaptation in marine coastal zones; and
- Implementing climate budget tagging in government entities.
The work is part of UNDP’s broader corporate initiative, the Climate Promise, which supports over 110 countries to enhance their NDCs. In Guatemala, this includes strengthening government NDC capacity; developing an NDC revision roadmap; developing and analyzing updated greenhouse gas inventories for waste and industrial processes; and convening stakeholders to validate sectoral mitigation targets and the revised NDC.
KEY PROJECT WORK AREAS
Creation of a Governance Structure for NDC Implementation
- Prepare an evaluation and proposal for an interinstitutional governance structure for implementing the NDC (energy sector); and
- Design a gender strategy in the context of the NDC and integrate it within the governance architecture.
Elaboration of Sectoral Adaptation Strategies with a Gender Perspective
- Develop a monitoring and evaluation system and establish an adaptation baseline for marine coastal zones; and
- Design and publish a sectoral action plan with adaptation indicators for marine coastal zones.
Capacity-building for Climate Finance and Investment
- Update the climate public expenditure report using the Ministry of Finance climate change budget classifier;
- Identify and implement financial mechanisms for biodiversity conservation and climate risk reduction; and
- Disseminate experiences and lessons learned, such as on sectoral NDC implementation and financial mechanisms.
In Guatemala, UNDP support aligns with complementary projects to strengthen outputs and ensure comprehensive responses to government needs. These include climate-related initiatives by the Global Environment Facility (GEF), the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB), the World Bank, the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), and Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH.
The NDC Support Programme also coordinates its efforts with those of a Food and Agriculture Organization/UNDP NAP-Agriculture project, a biodiversity finance (BIOFIN) project, and a marine coastal zone project, among others. UNDP’s Climate Promise support to Guatemala is carried out under the NDC Partnership’s Climate Action Enhancement Package (CAEP) in coordination with the UN Environment Programme (UNEP) and the Red Cross Climate Centre.
Silvia Zúñiga Orellana
Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources (MARN)
G. Fernando García Barrios and Jerson Quevedo
UNDP Country Office | Guatemala
UNDP | NDC Support Programme
Global Support Unit