Photo by Mayra Monge
US $ 1,994,500
Government Implementing Partner(s)
Climate Change Directorate
NDC KEY PARAMETERS
The objective of Costa Rica´s NDC is to focus its climate change actions on increasing society’s resilience to the impact of climate change and strengthening the country’s capacity for low-emission development in the long-term.
Unconditional NDC: 44% reduction compared to business-as-usual (BAU) by 2030
ANTICIPATED UPDATES FOR NDC2
Costa Rica’s updated NDC will be based on the recently completed national decarbonization plan (its long-term strategy, or LTS) which will also set the foundation for a national ambition cycle and will be fully backed by presidential decree. The revised mitigation target will comply with the 1.5°C roadmap of the LTS, strengthen adaptation pathways and targets for nature-based solutions (NBS), and clarify the scope of gases included in the first NDC.
The NDC Support Programme is directly contributing by:
- Carrying out a gender gap analysis for key sectors;
- Strengthening governance mechanisms for coordination with civil society;
- Integrating adaptation actions in Costa Rica’s National System of Metrics in Climate Change (SINAMECC);
- Developing and promoting the use of climate finance categorization in the banking sector as part of a monitoring, reporting and verification (MRV) system for climate finance; and
- Identifying key bankable projects from the NDC investment plan.
The work is part of UNDP’s broader corporate initiative, the Climate Promise, which supports over 110 countries to enhance their NDCs. Through the Climate Promise, UNDP is supporting Costa Rica to evaluate short-term economic effects of the implementation of the national decarbonization plan on economic recovery after COVID-19.
KEY PROJECT WORK AREAS
- Refine screening guidance developed for public investment projects to facilitate the identification of investment impacts on decarbonization and resilience targets;
- Develop a portfolio of bankable projects with strong socio-economic benefits; and
- Train the financial sector in presenting the information on climate-related financial instruments to the general superintendence of financial entities (SUGEF), the public entity overseeing the stability, resilience, and efficiency of the national financial system.
Private Sector Investment
- Define criteria for key investment areas for NDC implementation, according to the NDC investment plan;
- Elaborate priority bankable projects in the NDC investment plan and/or undertake technical feasibility assessments; and
- Elaborate a business case study on the implementation of climate-risk informed insurance schemes.
- Conduct an integrated gender and climate change analysis to put gender equality on the public agenda;
- Strengthen governance mechanisms for coordination with civil society;
- Produce targeted communication products to raise awareness on the sustainable development benefits of enhanced NDC implementation for different stakeholder groups; and
- Provide facilitation support for coordination of partners during implementation of the NDC Partnership Plan.
Monitoring and Transparency
- Elaborate pilot of registry protocols, guides and methodologies for NDC-related adaptation actions under SINAMECC;
- Strengthen transparency considerations regarding means of implementation of the NDC, including integration into adaptation and mitigation modules;
- Strengthen the climate finance transparency component of the national MRV system by tagging climate-related expenditures and integrating generated data into the SINAMECC; and
- Integrate co-benefits related to the Sustainable Development Goals and transformational change being developed under the SINAMECC into mitigation and adaptation actions.
The NDC Support Programme links closely with complementary projects to strengthen outputs and ensure comprehensive responses to government needs, working in close coordination with partners such as the World Bank, the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH, and UN Environment. As the Co-Chair for the NDC Partnership, Costa Rica is also looking to strengthen collaboration with other partners and donors and the Programme will fund a facilitator to support the NDC Partnership Plan process.
Ministry of Environment and Energy
UNDP Country Office | Costa Rica
UNDP | NDC Support Programme Global Support Unit