Photos by Rosie Blamey and Polina Raevskaya | Unsplash
US $ 540,000
Government Implementing Partner(s)
Climate Policy and Green Technologies Department and Ministry
NDC KEY PARAMETERS
The objective of Kazakhstan’s NDC is to support sustainable economic development, achieve the OECD’s countries level of life quality, and enter the path of low-carbon green development, as well as to contribute to the achievement of the long-term global climate goal.
Unconditional NDC: 15% reduction compared to the 1990 base year by 2030
Conditional NDC: 25% reduction by 2030
Energy, agriculture, waste, land use, land-use change and forestry (LULUCF)
ANTICIPATED UPDATES FOR NDC2
Kazakhstan’s enhanced NDC will identify priorities in the agriculture, forestry, water sectors and civil protection. It will also develop an adaptation component, including effective adaptation measures and an implementation roadmap. The updated NDC will strengthen inclusiveness and institutional capacities of key stakeholders, enhance transparency and promote the mainstreaming of climate actions in the national programs and projects.
The NDC Support Programme is directly contributing by:
- Improving the transparency frameworks for both mitigation and adaptation and introducing adaptation policy and measures;
- Facilitating the mainstreaming of NDC targets in development priorities;
- Facilitating the functioning of the domestic Emissions Trading Scheme (ETS) and promoting transparency in the reporting of GHG emissions; and
- Building broad ownership and continued engagement in the NDC of all stakeholders.
This work contributes to UNDP’s broader corporate initiative, the Climate Promise, which supports over 110 countries to submit enhanced NDCs. Through the Climate Promise, UNDP supports Kazakhstan to improve domestic ETS implementation and review benchmarks for allowances allocation; increase transparency in reporting of GHG emissions; and strengthen capacity of verifiers for improving the quality of the ETS operation.
KEY PROJECT WORK AREAS
Monitoring and Transparency
- Develop GHG emission inventory methodologies for the sectors covered in the GHG emission control system;
- Create a legal framework for the national GHG inventory system;
- Provide trainings on the GHG emission inventory for experts, including experts from business enterprises;
- Improve inter-agency coordination of GHG emissions inventory; and
- Build capacity of participants of the national GHG inventory system for data collection and processing.
Adaptation Component for NDC
- Create adaptation-related measures and policies for the updated NDC based on vulnerability assessment;
- Develop a roadmap for the implementation of adaptation-related NDC components; and
- Raise public awareness on climate change adaptation.
Awareness Raising for Combating Climate Change
- Offer expert assistance for preparing Kazakhstan delegation for international meetings on climate change; and
- Facilitate dissemination of key takeaways of national and international events.
Kazakhstan’s NDC enhancement is supported through collaborative efforts with the Partnership for Market Readiness under the World Bank, Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH and the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA). The World Bank in Kazakhstan is supporting a Mitigation Roadmap until 2025, which includes the required activities to reduce GHG emissions, while GIZ is supporting the development of a low-emission development strategy. IRENA to conduct an assessment of the socio-economic impacts of achieving an energy transition in Kazakhstan, including impacts on Gross Domestic Product (GDP) and jobs; develop policy measures needed to maximize the benefits of such a transition; and support a just transition, including policies on labour, education, industry and training and reskilling.
Olzhas Agabekova and Zulfia Suleimenova
Ministry of Ecology, Geology and Natural Resources
UNDP Country Office | Kazakhstan
UNDP | NDC Support Programme
Global Support Unit