Photos by United Nations and Adrino | Unsplash
US $ 1,542,300
Government Implementing Partner(s)
Climate Change Commission
NDC KEY PARAMETERS
The objective of the Philippines’ intended NDC is to achieve climate change mitigation as a function of adaptation. As a country highly vulnerable to climate and disaster risks, mitigation measures will be pursued in line with sustainable development and a low-emission development that promotes inclusive growth.
Unconditional NDC: not specified
Conditional NDC: 70% reduction from business-as-usual (BAU) by 2030
Energy, forestry, transport, industrial processes, waste, and agriculture
Agriculture, cross-cutting, environment, water, social development, energy, health, and coastal zones
ANTICIPATED UPDATES FOR NDC2
The revised NDC will “identify actions and targets to align with the more ambitious 1.5 Paris Agreement goal” and the national socio-economic development goals. In particular, the Philippines will identify unconditional targets, revise the baselines, include short-lived climate pollutants (SLCPs), refine sectoral analyses, integrate results from economic impact analysis, and finalize sectoral mitigation targets and measures.
The NDC Support Programme is directly contributing by:
- Developing key implementation instruments such as the NDC implementation plan, a monitoring, reporting and verification (MRV) plan and an NDC financial plan. These plans are being developed through a whole-of-government and whole-of-society approach; and
- Establishing a private sector partnership to enhance engagement and accelerate investments of the private sector in support of the NDC.
The work is part of UNDP’s broader corporate initiative, the Climate Promise, which supports over 110 countries to enhance their NDCs. Through the Climate Promise, UNDP supports securing political buy-in at all levels and in all sectors, with the potential to increase conditional mitigation targets and strategically highlight the benefits and opportunities of ambitious climate action.
KEY PROJECT WORK AREAS
Integrated Governance to Deliver NDC Outcomes
- Strengthen existing institutional and data collection structures for NDC implementation using a gender-responsive approach; and
- Enhance monitoring and transparency systems for NDC implementation.
Evidence-based Design and Planning of Mitigation Actions
- Develop and implement a gender action plan to ensure women equally benefit from NDC implementation;
- Refine and/or disaggregate NDC mitigation targets across sectors; and
- Conduct economy-wide modelling of impacts of mitigation scenarios to inform NDC submission.
Capacity Development for Climate-friendly Investment
- Identify investment risks and barriers; address them with gender-responsive policy and financial levers to scale up climate action and create livelihood opportunities; and
- Establish sustainable finance mechanism(s) to scale up NDC mitigation action in priority sectors.
Enabling Environment for Private Sector Engagement
- Engage private sector systematically on inclusive NDC investment opportunities.
The NDC Support Programme links closely with complementary UNDP projects to strengthen outputs and ensure comprehensive responses to government needs, such as the Development of Renewable Energy and Market System Project (DREAMS), Low-Carbon Urban Transport Project (LCT), Green Climate Fund (GCF) Readiness Programme, and city application of systemic design for a circular economy with Alberta CoLab, among others.
UNDP is collaborating with the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH, World Bank, and other NDC Partnership members through its country coordinator. The NDC Support Programme is also providing a facilitator to support the NDC Partnership country engagement process.
Climate Change Commission
UNDP Country Office | Philippines
UNDP | NDC Support Programme
Global Support Unit