Photos by UNDP Lao PDR and Unsplash
US $ 802,500
Government Implementing Partner(s)
Ministry of Energy and Mines; Ministry of Natural Resource and Environment
NDC KEY PARAMETERS
The objective of Lao PDR’s NDC is to maximise the ambition of its mitigation contribution while taking into account the need for economic development, and capacity building to mitigate and adapt to changing climatic conditions.
Unconditional NDC: 34% reduction compared to baseline scenario achieved in 2020 target by 2030
Conditional NDC: increase forest cover to 70% of land area
Energy, forestry, and land use change, agriculture, waste, and transport
Agriculture, forestry, water, urban, infrastructure, and public health
ANTICIPATED UPDATES FOR NDC2
The updated NDC will enhance its ambition through the introduction of three national level greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions scenarios, namely: baseline emissions scenarios, an unconditional mitigation scenario to 2030, as well as a more ambitious conditional mitigation scenario to 2030 towards achieving net-zero GHG emissions by 2050. The new NDC also sets forth increased transparency and consistency between quantitative targets, new short-term objectives for climate change adaption towards a strengthened transparency system, as well as the country’s expression of interest to pursue market-based mechanisms.
The NDC Support Programme is directly contributing by:
- Facilitating the implementation of a rural electrification project, contributing to the NDC priority sector of energy; and
- Advancing private sector transition to circular economy model.
The work is part of UNDP’s broader corporate initiative, the Climate Promise, which supports over 110 countries to enhance their NDCs. This support is not only aligned with NDC priorities of the 2020 update but also aligns with the National Green Growth Strategy until 2030.
KEY PROJECT WORK AREAS
- Provide renewable energy (solar) to the remote communities of Lao PDR to expand access to clean energy; and
- Identify income sources to diversify livelihoods based on sustainability and green growth principles to reduce the destruction of forests surrounding communities.
Circular Economy and Private Sector Engagement
- Implement activities under the Circular Economy Strategy to transition to a more sustainable economic model;
- Conduct a metabolic analysis and develop circular business models and policy frameworks; and
- Enhance the NDC and develop a long-term low-carbon development strategy in consultation with key stakeholders, including the private sector, development agencies and line ministries.
UNDP works closely with the government and other partners on complementary projects to strengthen outputs and ensure comprehensive responses to government needs. Collaborative efforts with other organizations such as the World Bank and Global Green Growth Institute (GGGI) are underway to support the country’s NDC update, and other areas of collaboration are being explored, including partnerships with the private sector as well as with communities to raise awareness for more inclusive NDC enhancement. A new project under the Global Environment Facility (GEF) Small Grants Programme complements activities under the NDC Support Programme and the work being undertaken with communities.
Department of Climate Change
UNDP Country Office | Lao PDR
UNDP | NDC Support Programme
Global Support Unit