Photos by Dikasheva and Danny Postma | Unsplash
US $ 540,000
Government Implementing Partner(s)
Ministry of Finance; Ministry of Environment and Forestry - KLHK
NDC KEY PARAMETERS
The objective of Indonesia’s NDC is to outline the country’s transition to a low-carbon and climate resilient future. Indonesia envisions achieving archipelagic climate resilience as a result of comprehensive adaptation and mitigation programmes and disaster risk reduction strategies.
Unconditional NDC: 29% below business-as-usual (BAU) by 2030
Conditional NDC: Up to 41% below BAU by 2030
Energy, waste, industrial processes and product use (IPPU), agriculture, and forestry
Agriculture, water, energy security, forestry, maritime and fisheries, health, public service, infrastructure, and urban system
ANTICIPATED UPDATES FOR NDC2
Indonesia's updated NDC will be based on improved data collection, take into account emission factors, include capacity building and transparency mechanisms. It will also strengthen institutional arrangements, policies and legal requirements.
The NDC Support Programme is directly contributing by:
- Providing targeted support on innovative finance approaches to reach the country’s ambitious goals.
The work is part of UNDP’s broader corporate initiative, the Climate Promise, which supports over 110 countries to enhance their NDCs. UNDP will support Indonesia to build strong societal ownership and garner high level support to achieve ambitious NDC targets and provide recommendations for NDC implementation.
KEY PROJECT WORK AREAS
The NDC Support Programme provides targeted support on climate finance and NDC implementation, expanding the work of the Sustainable Development Financing Facility (SDFF).
- Develop a climate fiscal framework and establish a knowledge sharing platform on climate finance;
- Improve the accountability of the existing instruments including the green bonds/sukuks and mechanisms such as the newly formed Public Service Agency on Environmental Fund Management (BLU) to attract capital investment for NDC-related projects; and
- Create innovative financing instruments for NDC implementation in partnership with national and sub-national governments, financial institutions, and private sector.
- Enhance coordinated efforts for NDC implementation;
- Facilitate technical assistance and capacity building to support NDC implementation, including the NDC Partnership Plan; and
- Map sustainable development benefits of the NDC and ensure implementation is tailored to different stakeholder groups.
UNDP works closely with the Global Green Growth Institute (GGGI) and Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH on the development of a Climate Change Fiscal Framework. The Programme also collaborates with several financial institutions, including the Financial Services Authority (OJK), Central Bank, National Zakat Agency (Baznas) and others. Through the Innovative Financing Lab, UNDP will leverage partnership with these institutions.
Ministry of Finance
Muhammad Didi Hardiana
UNDP Country Office | Indonesia
UNDP| NDC Support Programme
Global Support Unit