Photos by UNDP and Kassem Mahfous | Unsplash
US $ 894,300
Government Implementing Partner(s)
Ministry of Environment
NDC KEY PARAMETERS
The objective of Lebanon’s NDC is to bring together and build upon national and sectoral planning strategies to both build resilience and improve adaptation as it lowers emissions.
Unconditional NDC: 15% reduction compared to the business-as-usual (BAU) by 2030
Conditional NDC: 30% reduction compared to BAU by 2030
Energy (including transport), industrial processes and other product use, agriculture, land use, land-use change, and forestry (LULUCF), and waste
Agriculture, water, LULUCF/forestry, and biodiversity
ANTICIPATED UPDATES FOR NDC2
Lebanon’s NDC revision will reflect an enhanced mitigation target with a more ambitious renewable energy target of 30%, fuller integration with national development objectives and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs); gender-responsive planning and implementation of climate action; and improved adaptation targets through quantitative objective-setting. Lebanon's NDC will also include improved information for enhanced transparency.
The NDC Support Programme is directly contributing by:
- Serving as the NDC custodian project to establish, update and implement Lebanon’s NDC. The Programme team coordinates all NDC activities and planning and has facilitated collaboration across the government;
- Supporting the synchronization of the NDC with the SDGs and the consideration and inclusion of gender. Both will be included in the NDC2; and
- Supporting the development of updated modeling to improve assumptions for 2030, and to assess additional mitigation potentials for NDC enhancement.
The work contributes to UNDP’s broader corporate initiative, the Climate Promise, which supports over 110 countries to submit enhanced NDCs. Through the Climate Promise, UNDP will support Lebanon to review and update their existing NDC targets, update and improve the underlying data, and establish a transparency framework for tracking implementation progress.
KEY PROJECT WORK AREAS
Alignment of NDC with Sustainable Development and Gender Equality Objectives
- Re-examine the NDC to identify gaps for linkages to the SDGs and provide concrete suggestions and policy advice;
- Prioritize NDC actions by clarifying sectoral assumptions and baselines in order to evaluate how best to increase ambition;
- Identify and formalize NDC and SDG institutional arrangements and indicators to synchronize tracking; and
- Identify practical entry points and opportunities for women’s empowerment and inclusion in NDC and SDG implementation.
Enhancement of NDC Investment Environment
- Design feasibility studies for policy and financial instruments that can serve as levers for promoting private sector investment;
- Assess outstanding barriers for private investment beyond those addressed in the de-risking strategy;
- Develop tools and mechanisms to enhance investment in climate mitigation; and
- Assess and analyze private sector flows to determine their contribution to the NDC targets and work toward upscaling investments.
Effective Coordination of Planning and Implementation
- Establish and maintain coordinating bodies for the effective planning and implementation of the NDC;
- Coordinate the NDC revision process; and
- Provide facilitation support for the NDC Partnership’s country engagement efforts, including development and utilization of the NDC Partnership Plan.
The NDC Support Programme links closely with complementary projects to strengthen outputs and ensure comprehensive responses to government needs. In Lebanon, this includes close collaboration with the NDC Partnership through their country engagement process and Climate Action Enhancement Package (CAEP), as well as direct collaboration with projects supported by the European Union (CEDRO 5, Sustainable Energy for Security), the Global Environment Facility (GEF) (NC4, BUR), the Green Climate Fund (GCF Readiness), the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA), the World Bank, and the Islamic Development Bank (IsDB).
Ministry of Environment
UNDP Country Office | Lebanon
UNDP | NDC Support Programme
Global Support Unit