Photo by UNDP
US $ 1,949,400
Government Implementing Partner(s)
Ministry of Local Affairs and Environment
NDC KEY PARAMETERS
The objective of Tunisia’s NDC is to reduce emission intensity (CO2 consumption per unit of gross domestic product or GDP) by 41% by 2030 compared with 2010. As energy is responsible for 58% of emissions, this sector plays the central role in mitigation targets.
Unconditional NDC: reduce carbon intensity unconditionally by 13% compared to 2010.
Conditional NDC: reduce carbon intensity by 28% in 2030, relative to 2010.
Energy, industrial processes, agriculture, forestry and other land use (AFOLU) and waste
Water, coastlines, agriculture, ecosystems, tourism and health
ANTICIPATED UPDATES FOR NDC2
The updated NDC will enhance the long-term development vision as the timing will be aligned with the finalization of the 2050 strategy for the energy sector and the launch of the national socio-economic development plan for the upcoming 5 years.
The NDC Support Programme is directly contributing by:
- Establishing NDC implementation governance structures for two pilot sectors;
- Conducting the national NDC update;
- Assisting the development of an energy poverty strategy to be integrated into the updated NDC;
- Developing an NDC financing strategy in pilot sectors;
- Supporting the development of a portfolio of mitigation projects; and
- Updating NDC acceleration strategies for renewables and energy efficiency.
Activities build upon the NDC Implementation Roadmap developed with NDC Support Programme support.
The work is being undertaken as part of UNDP’s broader corporate initiative, the Climate Promise, which supports over 110 countries to submit enhanced NDCs.
KEY PROJECT WORK AREAS
- Update the national NDC, including assessing achievements, updating the objective, assessing financial needs, conducting an assessment of socio-economic impacts, and planning for monitoring, reporting, and verification (MRV) system.
Institutional Frameworks and Governance
- Develop an NDC implementation roadmap to analyze the state of implementation of the NDC, including measures to be undertaken to facilitate implementation as well as potential challenges;
- Enhance the NDC institutional structure with an inclusive NDC Partnership plan including a tracking methodology;
- Develop a gender-responsive strategy and action plan to integrate gender into NDC targets and sectoral development planning;
- Conduct a training program for parliamentarians and councilors on climate change;
- Set up governance frameworks to facilitate NDC implementation in two pilot sectors (waste and coastal). The structures will help mainstream NDC targets in sectoral strategies, track progress and raise awareness; and
- Develop communications and awareness raising materials, including a documentary and an animated video on the NDC roadmap.
Accelerating Energy Emission Reduction Efforts
- Update the national renewable and energy efficiency acceleration strategies;
- Develop investment plans for the energy as well as industrial processes strategies;
- Elaborate the energy and industrial processes project portfolio, including identifying risk and prioritizing projects; and
- Support the design and implementation of an energy poverty strategy which will be integrated into the updated NDC.
UNDP and the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH were designated by the government to co-facilitate NDC implementation and the Programme is working through this arrangement for development of the NDC Partnership plan. The Agency for Coastal Protection and Management (APAL) plays a lead role in coastal sustainable NDC activities. In addition, a new National Adaptation Plan (NAP) project with strong NDC linkages is in planning stages with the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) and Green Climate Fund (GCF) Readiness. Through the Global Environment Facility (GEF) Small Grants Programme, UNDP will collaborate with civil society organizations via enhanced dialogue to scale up their role for the NDC update and implementation.
Ministry of Loacal Affairs and the Environment
UNDP Country Office | Tunisia
UNDP | NDC Support Programme
Global Support Unit