Photo by Adobe Stock
US $ 802,500
Government Implementing Partner(s)
Ministry of Water and Environment
NDC KEY PARAMETERS
The objective of Uganda’s NDC is to pursue a low-carbon development pathway and reduce the vulnerability of the population, environment and economy to the impacts of climate change by implementing measures and policies that build resilience.
Unconditional NDC: 30% of incremental cost of activities related to 22% emission reduction compared to business-as-usual (BAU) by 2030
Conditional NDC: 70% of incremental cost of activities related to 22% emission reduction compared to BAU by 2030
Energy, transport, agriculture, waste, forestry, and wetland conservation
Agriculture, livestock, forestry, infrastructure, water, energy and health
ANTICIPATED UPDATES FOR NDC2
The NDC revision for Uganda will define additional adaptation and emission reduction targets in the transport, industry and waste sectors to meet the 22% reduction target by 2030. In addition, Uganda will define costs and impacts of climate actions including nature-based solutions (NBS); elaborate potential domestic financial instruments for NDC implementation; improve data collection and management; develop standard baselines; and establish national emission factors based on the latest Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) guidelines for the waste sector.
The NDC Support Programme is directly contributing by:
- Enhancing technical and institutional capacities of public and private sector actors to scale up gender-responsive mitigation actions.
The work contributes to UNDP’s broader corporate initiative, the Climate Promise, which supports over 110 countries to submit enhanced NDCs. Through the Climate Promise, UNDP will support Uganda to revise its NDC through technical support, wider stakeholder consultations, knowledge management and dissemination of the revised NDC across society to ensure inclusiveness in the development of the updated NDC.
KEY PROJECT WORK AREAS
- Incorporate gender aspects into national NDC processes by developing gender screening guidelines and by building institutional capacity on gender mainstreaming; and
- Build political will and societal ownership at national and sub-national levels by training women and youth NGOs.
NDC Planning and Revision
- Support NDC emission target stocktaking to analyze national progress toward achieving NDC targets;
- Align NDC targets to sectoral strategies in the forestry, agriculture and energy sectors;
- Explore opportunities for nature-based solutions (NBS);
- Conduct a country-wide vulnerability assessment and risk projection to develop adaptation targets and indicators under the NDC Partnership through the Climate Action Enhancement Package (CAEP); and
- Develop an NDC investment plan.
Monitoring and Transparency
- Support design of the MRV system, integrated into the national Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) system with gender and social safeguard metrics and indicators; and
- Improve NDC data structures by conducting GHG inventories in three new sectors - transport, industrial waste management and coal production/use - and conduct a gender audit of the GHG management system under the NDC Partnership CAEP.
UNDP collaborates with key responsible partner institutions which include the National Planning Authority (NPA), Ministry of Finance Planning and Economic Development and the Private Sector Foundation Uganda (PSFU). Other partner engagements in project implementation include the World bank, the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH, African Development Bank (AfDB), UN Environment Programme (UNEP), Conservation International, private sector and Civil Society Organisations (CSOs).
Ministry of Water and Environment
UNDP | Country Office Uganda
UNDP | NDC Support Programme
Global Support Unit