US $ 1,024,550
Government Implementing Partner(s)
Ministry of Lands Natural Resources and Environmental Protection
NDC KEY PARAMETERS
The objective of Zambia’s NDC is to reduce total emissions by 38,000 GgCO2eq by implementing three programs driven by Zambia’s Climate Response Strategy in the areas of sustainable forest management, sustainable agriculture and renewable energy and energy efficiency.
Unconditional NDC: 25% emission reduction below business-as-usual (BAU) by 2030
Conditional NDC: 47% emission reduction below BAU by 2030
Energy, forestry, agriculture, water, town and country planning, sanitation and transport
Agriculture, water, forestry, energy, wildlife, infrastructure and health
ANTICIPATED UPDATES FOR NDC2
The updated NDC will increase ambition by adding more sectors such as transport, industrial waste and coal production/use. It will also strengthen the adaptation component as well as the monitoring system and enhanced transparency.
The NDC Support Programme is directly contributing by:
- Enhancing the role of women in NDC processes via awareness raising, technical training and gender mainstreaming;
- Aligning NDC targets to key sectoral strategies and plans;
- Conducting an NDC emissions target stocktaking;
- Improving NDC data structures by conducting greenhouse gas (GHG) inventories in three new sectors, and conducting a gender audit of the GHG management system;
- Developing adaptation targets in the NDC, exploring NDC opportunities for nature-based solutions (NBS) and conducting a vulnerability assessment and risk projection; and
- Establishing an NDC investment plan.
The work contributes to UNDP’s broader corporate initiative, the Climate Promise, which supports over 110 countries to submit enhanced NDCs. Through the Climate Promise, UNDP will support Zambia to consolidate new NDC aspects into the revised NDC document, mainstream youth and Sustainable Development Goal (SDG)-related actions into the NDC, and support establishment of the national monitoring, reporting and verification (MRV) system via capacity building.
KEY PROJECT WORK AREAS
- Incorporate gender aspects into national NDC processes by developing gender screening guidelines and by building institutional capacity on gender mainstreaming; and
- Build political will and societal ownership at national and sub-national levels by training women and youth NGOs.
NDC Planning and Revision
- Support NDC emission target stocktaking to analyze national progress toward achieving NDC targets;
- Align NDC targets to sectoral strategies in the forestry, agriculture and energy sectors;
- Explore opportunities for nature-based solutions (NBS);
- Conduct a country-wide vulnerability assessment and risk projection to develop adaptation targets and indicators under the NDC Partnership through the Climate Action Enhancement Package (CAEP); and
- Develop an NDC investment plan.
Monitoring and Transparency
- Support design of the MRV system, integrated into the national Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) system with gender and social safeguard metrics and indicators; and
- Improve NDC data structures by conducting GHG inventories in three new sectors - transport, industrial waste management and coal production/use - and conduct a gender audit of the GHG management system under the NDC Partnership CAEP.
The NDC Support Programme links closely with complementary projects to strengthen outputs and ensure comprehensive responses to government needs. As part of the NDC stocktaking, UNDP worked with key partners such as the World Bank, KfW Bank and the Government of Sweden to consult on related initiatives impacting NDC targets.
Ephraim Mwepya Shitima
Ministry of Lands and Natural Resources
UNDP Country Office | Zambia
UNDP | NDC Support Programme
Global Support Programme