Photos by United Nations
US $ 596,160
Government Implementing Partner(s)
Agency for Environment and Sustainable Development (AEDD), Ministry of Environment
NDC KEY PARAMETERS
The objective of Mali’s first NDC is to keep the country as a carbon sink by limiting emissions in the energy, agriculture and land use, land-use change and forestry (LULUCF) sectors and by prioritizing a green and climate resilient economy. It intends to manage natural resources sustainably and maximize synergies between adaptation and mitigation measures.
Unconditional NDC: N/A
Conditional NDC: N/A
Agriculture, energy, LULUCF
Agriculture, energy, LULUCF
ANTICIPATED UPDATES FOR NDC2
Mali is revising its targets in the agriculture, energy and LULUCF sectors, will include a new economic sector (either waste or transportation), and explore opportunities for emission reductions from nature-based solutions (NBS). The country will capitalize on existing adaptation measures and policy to strengthen the new NDC and reductions of short-lived climate pollutants (SLCPs) will be more prominent. Mali will conduct extensive consultations at the national and sub-national level and ensure the NDC is gender sensitive and aligned to sustainable development priorities.
The NDC Support Programme directly contributed to the NDC2 by:
- Supporting all stakeholder consultations and high-level engagement;
- Assessing the emission reduction potential of the waste or transportation sector (to be decided) and from NBS for inclusion in, and update of, mitigation target;
- Reviewing existing adaptation data and strengthening measures;
- Conducting a gender analysis in the priority sectors of the NDC; and
- Aligning the NDC with the Sustainable Development Goals.
The work is part of UNDP’s broader corporate initiative, the Climate Promise, which supports over 110 countries to enhance their NDCs. Through the Climate Promise, UNDP will support Mali to assess the state of implementation of the previous NDC, revise targets in the agriculture, energy and LULUCF sectors and analyze the cost of implementing the new NDC.
KEY PROJECT WORK AREAS
Effective Consultation Framework for NDC Implementation
- Strengthen the capacity of the National NDC Committee and the National Committee on Climate Change;
- Hold regular advocacy meetings on the NDC and the NDC Partnership Plan between the Ministry of Environment, the Ministry of Finance, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and development partners; and
- Improve the coordination between AEDD and development partners on the NDC Partnership Plan.
NDC Revision and Ambition Raising
- Hold inclusive stakeholder consultations on the revision at the national and sub-national level;
- Put in place a national technical committee to oversee the revision process;
- Revise adaptation ambition by reviewing existing data and strengthening adaptation measures;
- Assess emission reduction potential in the waste sector or transportation sector for inclusion and update of mitigation target;
- Evaluate greenhouse gas (GHG) reduction opportunities from nature-based solutions; and
- Conduct a gender analysis in the priority sectors of the NDC and integrate results for a gender-responsive NDC.
Capacity-building for NDC implementation
- Support sub-national development agencies in climate-sensitive local planning;
- Provide tools and training to the Ministry of Finance on climate change budgeting; and
- Sensitize the private sector on business opportunities in the NDC.
UNDP and the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH have a strong collaboration on NDC implementation in Mali. The support to sub-national governments on local planning will rely on tools developed by UNDP and GIZ for mainstreaming climate change in planning. The NDC Partnership Support Unit is planning activities on climate sensitive budgeting for the Ministry of Finance. This will complement UNDP support to the same Ministry. Finally, UNDP is partnering with UN Women on the gender analysis for the NDC revision and with the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) on revising targets in the energy sector.
Agency for Environnment and Sustainable Development (AEDD)
UNDP Country Office | Mali
UNDP | NDC Support Programme
Global Support Unit