Photo by Surtita Budiman | Unsplash
US $ 1,450,500
Government Implementing Partner(s)
Ministry of Environment and Forestry
NDC KEY PARAMETERS
The objective of Kenya’s NDC is to lower greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by 30% by 2030, despite the fact that Kenya contributes a mere 0.1% to the total global emissions. Towards this end, the NDC specifies adaptation and mitigation actions and responses.
Conditional NDC: 30% reduction relative to the business-as-usual (BAU) by 2030
Energy, agriculture, forestry, industry, transport, and waste
Water, agriculture, land use, forestry, energy, health, and infrastructure
ANTICIPATED UPDATES FOR NDC2
Kenya’s updated NDC will revise sectoral elements of the NDC implementation roadmap; update the sectoral component of the National Climate Change Action Plans (NCCAP) to 2025 and 2030 to guide the Long-Term Strategy (LTS).
The new NDC will also implement NCCAP sector component work plans for adaptation and mitigation; revise resource allocation and mobilization; improve multi-level and inter-sectoral coordination; and strengthen institutional capacities at national and sub-national levels.
KEY PROJECT WORK AREAS
Integrated Governance and Gender-mainstreaming
- Examine the legal, policy and institutional frameworks on climate change and gender, focusing on gender trends, structure of decision-making bodies, and gender diversity in participating institutions;
- Develop guidelines on gender integration into NDC planning and implementation processes and reporting; and
- Enhance knowledge and technical capacities to deliver gender-responsive climate change plans and actions.
- Develop an NDC financing strategy;
- Create a training course on climate change budget coding and climate finance tracking;
- Devise climate fund regulations, NDC financing strategy and private sector framework as required under the Climate Change Act 2016; and
- Formulate a resource mobilization strategy to operationalize the Climate Fund.
Mitigation through Circular Economy Approaches
- Map economy-wide material and energy flows, including related impacts to identify new and enhanced circular mitigation opportunities.
- Private Sector Engagement
- Develop business plans for circular economy, including policy and regulatory incentives to incentivize private sector investment;
- Conduct regulatory due diligence for the waste sector to promote private sector engagement; and
- Assess legal titles of GHG emission reductions and develop financial model for an Internationally Transferred Mitigation Outcomes (ITMO) projects with the Government of Switzerland.
Monitoring and Transparency
- Define indicators for gender integration across NDC sectors for monitoring, reporting and verification (MRV);
- Develop integrated, online monitoring, reporting and verification (MRV) tool for GHG inventory reporting, tracking of mitigation and adaptation actions, climate finance and SDG impacts; and
- Improve carbon accounting methodologies for recycling activities.
Awareness and Education
- Formulate national gender and intergenerational responsive public education and awareness strategy on climate change and implementation.
In Kenya, the NDC Support Programme links with other complementary projects. This includes components of the Low Emissions Climate Resilient Development (LECRD) project funded by the US Agency for International Development (USAID) through UNDP for the development of the climate change fund regulations; with the Capacity Building Initiative on Transparency (CBIT) and the Global NDC Implementation Partners (GNI+) Project; and with Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH for the enhancement of Kenya’s NDC. Collaboration also exists with the Kenya Private Sector Alliance (KEPSA), Kenya Association of Manufacturers (KAM) and Kenya National Chamber of Commerce and Industry (KNCCI) and other state and non-state actors.
Climate Change Directorate
UNDP Country Office | Kenya
UNDP | NDC Support Programme Global Support Unit