DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO
Photo by UNDP
US $ 894,300
Government Implementing Partner(s)
Ministry of Environment and Sustainable Development (Sustainable Development Directorate)
NDC KEY PARAMETERS
The objective of DRC’s NDC is to transform the Congolese society by implementing inclusive and participatory climate actions to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) by 2030 and a carbon neutral development by 2100.
Conditional NDC Target: 17% reduction compared to business-as-usual (BAU) by 2030
Agriculture, forestry (land use, land-use change, and forestry or LULUCF), energy (power generation), waste, transportation, and industry
Agriculture, rural development, coastal management, biodiversity, energy, transport, health sector, water and sanitation
ANTICIPATED UPDATES FOR NDC2
DRC’s updated NDC will add new sectors not considered in the former version; assess costs and investment opportunities; and strengthen the monitoring plan for NDC implementation, including a revalidation of the NDC's baselines for greater accuracy.
The NDC Support Programme is directly contributing by:
- Putting in place NDC and climate change coordination mechanisms;
- Developing the NDC gender plan of action;
- Conducting a cost analysis of NDC measures;
- Strengthening the Monitoring, Reporting and Verification (MRV) system design; and
- Analysing private investment opportunities and identifying potential barriers to investment.
The work is part of UNDP’s broader corporate initiative, the Climate Promise, which supports over 110 countries to enhance their NDCs. Through the Climate Promise, UNDP will support the DRC to popularize the new policy and strategy document on climate change, advocate for adoption of the forthcoming climate change law, strengthen the mitigation project pipelines in the waste and transport sectors and build a stronger data management system and NDC communications strategy for the government.
KEY PROJECT WORK AREAS
- Strengthen the institutional framework for NDC implementation, including running of a capacity gap assessment and establishing a national committee on climate change;
- Create a 2021-2030 NDC planning document or NDC implementation roadmap and a NDC Partnership plan and identify barriers to NDC implementation; and
- Develop an NDC communications and awareness strategy, launch an awareness campaign and advocate for the adoption of the upcoming climate change law.
Gender-responsive NDC Planning and Implementation
- Conduct an NDC gender scan of related policies and strategies, identifying targeted political measures and develop a gender plan of action; and
- Support mainstreaming of gender concerns into climate action and policies. The NDC implementation roadmap will include a gender plan of action.
Monitoring and Transparency
- Enhance the national MRV system, including a draft decree on institutional coordination, evaluation of greenhouse gas (GHG) data collection sources, and preparation of at least one Biannual Update Report (BUR) report.
Climate Finance and Private Sector Engagement
- Develop a NDC finance strategy and mobilize investments by public and private sectors;
- Provide training in GHG emission baselines and alternative scenarios, promote at least four local initiatives as examples of good practices, and identify legal, technological barriers; and
- Focus on the waste and transport sectors to help identify mitigation opportunities.
NDC Support Programme activities in the DRC build upon ongoing projects including the Green Climate Fund-supported National Adaptation Plan, UNDP-supported HCFC management programme, as well as FAO’s work on the revision of reference emission levels in the forestry sector and reinforcement of the national forest surveillance system for REDD+. Close collaboration will also be pursued among ministries and sectors, as well as with Africa LEDS, UN-REDD, Sustainable Energy for All (SE4ALL), the Central African Forest Initiative (CAFI), the World Bank on forestry, and the NDC Partnership. The Programme will provide additional capacity for two years to support the country engagement process during the design and implementation of the NDC Partnership Plan.
Aimé-Médard Mbuyi Kalombo
Ministry of Environment and Sustainable Development
UNDP Country Office
Democratic Republic of Congo
UNDP | NDC Support Programme Global Support Unit