Latin America and Caribbean NDC Dialogue - August 19-20, 2019
The Regional NDC Dialogue is held as part of the Latin America and Caribbean Climate Week.
The Regional NDC Dialogue for LAC was co-organized by UNDP and UNFCCC Secretariat, in collaboration with the German Corporation for International Cooperation (GIZ), International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) and the World Bank (WB) Group, as part of the broader LAC Climate Week (LACCW).
The Regional NDC Dialogue for Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) was one of three in the UNDP/ UNFCCC dialogue series that took place this year, as part of the Regional Climate Weeks, with the goal of increasing momentum for more ambitious and accelerated climate action. In doing so, the event also served as a contribution to the UN Secretary-General’s Climate Action Summit which took place on 23rd September in New York and the 25th Conference of Parties (COP25) which will take place in December in Santiago de Chile, Chile.
The event built on past Regional NDC Dialogues hosted by UNDP and the UNFCCC around the world and was the 21st such dialogue in the broader series. The Salvador event aimed to achieve the following objectives:
- Provide a platform for countries to discuss how to enhance their NDC considering the possibilities of greater coverage, clarity and ambition, and taking advantage of the lessons learned from NDC implementation progress to date;
- Identify solutions to the specific political and technical challenges that countries face in implementing NDCs;
- Provide a forum for peer-to-peer learning and exchange of national experiences, best practices and lessons learned to address challenges relating to NDC preparation and implementation as well as expectations for raising ambition;
- Exchange experiences on financing strategies as well as innovative financial instruments to accelerate NDC implementation; and
- Identify concrete opportunities that contribute to the achievement of NDC goals.
The year 2019-2020 is a critical period and presents a window of opportunity that cannot be missed. Several significant events will take place during this period, which all aim to help re-energize countries’ efforts, raise ambition and make concrete commitments for climate action. Among these events are the UNDP/ UNFCCC Regional NDC Dialogues which aim to provide a platform for countries and key partners to share knowledge and foster cooperation in support of NDC implementation and enhancement.
WHERE: Climate City (Salvador Hall)
Av. Luís Viana - Patamares Salvador da Bahía 41301-110 Brazil
WHEN: 19-23 August 2019
All logistical information about the LACCW, including details about the venue Salvador Hall, is available in English, Spanish and Portuguese here.
- Final Agenda here
- Participants List here
- Dialogue Report here