Kenya is a Party to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change(UNFCCC), its Kyoto Protocol and Paris Agreement and is taking measures to address climate change and implement relevant decisions.
In order to enhance coordination and synergy to support effective implementation of Kenya’s MRV+ system as envisioned in the first and second National Climate Change Actions Plans, the Ministry of Environment and Forestry with support from NDC support programme organised a technical workshop at the Gelian Hotel, Machakos from 10th to 13th July 2018.
The workshop was attended by thirty one (31) participants, mainly MRV/Climate Change focal points drawn from different institutions. The main objective of the workshop was to enhance understanding of key implementing partners and stakeholders of the ongoing MRV related projects and initiatives as well as contribution towards implementation of the MRV+ system for Kenya. The workshop sought to develop a framework for enhancing coordination and synergy of the reporting frameworks towards an integrated system. The system will aid in providing policy direction and planning for climate change in the country as well as Kenya’s reporting requirements’ at the international level.
The specific objectives of the meeting were:
1. To enhance understanding of stakeholders on the MRV requirements, ongoing MRV related projects and activities and contributing towards implementation of MRV+ system for Kenya
2. To provide space for stakeholders and practitioners to share experiences and challenges in implementing MRV work
3. To facilitate identification of areas of complementarity, synergy and overlaps in MRV work
4. To promote engendering of MRV process for Kenya
5. Agree on framework for enhanced coordination and synergy of MRV work by the Climate Change Directorate
You can find the full report on enhancing coordination and synergy of MRV processes in Kenya here.