The Paris Agreement on climate change is a landmark global agreement to combat climate change and to accelerate the actions and investments needed for a sustainable low-carbon future. Climate action is of key importance in Uganda. While Uganda is a low-emission country , it currently remains particularly vulnerable to climate change with low levels of readiness to address its impacts.
The Government of Uganda has been proactive in identifying the actions needed to build up the country’s readiness to mitigate and adapt to climate change in its Nationally Determined Contributions (NDC). Uganda’s priority is adaption, focused on increasing resilience in the key sectors of agriculture and livestock, forestry, infrastructure, water, energy, health and disaster risk management. For mitigation, Uganda has committed to a 22% reduction in GHG emissions by 2030 compared to business -as-usual (BAU). The protection of vulnerable groups, including women, is a crosscutting NDC priority.
About the workshop
This interactive workshop brought together representatives from Ugandan companies across different sectors including renewable energy and energy efficiency, waste management, biomass and manufacturing, and transport and logistics. Representatives from financing institutions, community-based organizations, international development and UN agencies, and the Government of Uganda.
● Learn about methodologies and resources available to build the business case for climate mitigation and adaptation actions;
● Gain insight into the needs and interests of Ugandan companies in taking action and reporting their impact on climate change and the SDG (based on recent survey results);
● Participate in peer-to-peer sharing of climate change risks and real-life impacts on business operations in Uganda across key sectors;
● Be introduced to a new framework on business opportunities to contribute to Uganda’s NDC and SDGs and gain access to a digital tool to explore opportunities and connect with peers;
● Discuss domestic and international climate finance opportunities and mechanisms for the Ugandan private sector to access financing for implementation of NDC/SDG actions;
● Contribute to discussions on further support and partnerships needed to catalyze climate action and investments across the Ugandan private sector.