This document comprises a series of sectoral checklists, developed to help climate change professionals and decision makers identify water-related issues to consider and address further within climate plans and policies. In particular, it aims to assist in the ongoing process of enhancing the Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) to the Paris Agreement.
These checklists, organized by sectors/themes, are not a complete list of climate-water interactions but a starting point for a conversation between climate focal points and their water colleagues. The hope is that these will spur further substantive discussion and help identify areas where improved water management and governance may be needed to make climate mitigation and adaptation efforts more successful.
Enhancing NDCs –A guide to Strengthening National Climate Plans by 2020 proposes a process for NDC Enhancement. These checklists, which are also featured in a dedicated webinar series on water and climate, provide a brief snapshot of important climate-water interactions and are intended primarily to spark and inform discussions.
Further explanation interactions are available in many other substantive reports, including
- the United Nations World Water Development Report 2020: Water and Climate Change,
- the Alliance for Global Water Adaptation’s Watering the NDCs: National Climate Planning for 2020 and Beyond,
- the Climate Change Adaptation and Integrated Water Resources Management manual,
- the Global Commission on Adaptation’s background report on water,
- the Water Supplement to the UNFCCC NAP Technical Guidelines and
- GWP’s further analyses of Water in NDCs, e.g. The Untold Story of Water in Climate Adaptation. Part II.