Low Emission Capacity Building (LECB) Programme
- Timeframe from 2011 to 2017
- Supported by the generous contributions from the European Union, and the Governments of Germany (through BMU) and Australia.
- Budget of USD 40M (Dialogues funded separately)
- Worked with technical partners to advance thought leadership, guidance and knowledge sharing on (I)NDCs, mitigation actions, finance and transparency
Supported 38 countries in total
- 25 countries on the development of mitigation actions (LEDS, NAMAs), finance, transparency (MRV, GHG Inventories) and private sector engagement (EU, BMUB, Australia)
- 26 countries on the preparation of INDCs (EU only, 2 GIZ)
- 15 Global and Regional (I)NDC dialogues and conferences, convening over 1,500 government officials from 150 developing countries.
- 26 INDCs submitted.
- 65 NAMAs in development - 16 finalized, 14 advanced, 14 registered in UNFCCC NAMA registry. 37% focus on energy, 18% on industry, 17% transport, 13% waste, 13% agriculture, forestry & other land use.
- 7 LEDS finalized/at advanced stage. Used for INDC target setting in 2 countries.
- 10 National GHG Inventory Systems documented, 9 data collection systems designed, 110+ trainings, 30+ consultations conducted.
Select Examples of Country Achievements
- Indonesia developed a modelling tool to assess SD impacts of NDC actions.
- Trinidad and Tobago created an NDC Implementation Plan which links SDG and NDC targets, and will reform of the local Green Fund as a new funding mechanism.
- Kenya’s new Climate Change Act presents a framework for aligning climate change actions with and the SDGs.
- Uganda completed a Green Growth Development Strategy, integrating NDC & SDG targets.
- Paraguay’s NDC implementation strategy enables validation of climate actions by civil society actors. 100+ climate actions have been validated to date.
- Lao PDR is linking NDC to Climate Change Disaster Law.
- Morocco has raised USD 39.3M from GCF for sustainable agriculture NAMA, which will benefit women’s livelihoods and advance both adaptation and mitigation.
- Vanuatu raised USD 1 M from the Government of Austria to carry out feasibility studies for the Rural Electrification NAMA.
|Africa||Asia & Pacific||Arab States||Europe & CIS||Latin America|
|St. Vincent & the Grenadines|